Seafood is my first protein love. If I had to choose only one kind of protein to eat for the rest of my life, seafood would be it. I mean, there are so. many. kinds of seafood. All the different textures, types, and tastes — I could never get bored! I squealed with delight when I came across this salad…and then proceeded to change it, swapping out the enormous amount of sour cream and mayonnaise for some stuff that actually lets the seafood flavor shine through. So. A small thank you to Ladies Home Journal for sitting on the side table at my chiropractic doctor’s office and inspiring this recipe…but major gratitude to my dad, who taught me that creativity is not about following rules (or recipes, for that matter).
So, no recipe, no big deal! The only real problem is that I didn’t check in with Sarah first — and it turns out shrimp isn’t on her approved-eating list.
Like, she thinks it’s “creepy.” Oh, well. More shrimp for me!
She also didn’t want to touch it, so the food styling in this post is all me. Fortunately, she was still able to snap some pics of it from a safe distance.
If you’re in Sarah’s boat — get it?? seafood pun! — I suggest trying this salad out anyway, sans crustaceans. You can add cherry tomatoes to keep it vegetarian, or poached, cubed chicken for a shot of protein.
Of course, Sarah would probably suggest you add bacon to it. Because everything is better with bacon.
There’s so much goodness in this salad once it’s mixed together! The crunchiness of the peas, radishes, and celery are off the hook — ha, more seafood puns! — and the creaminess of the dressing and avocado makes this salad a summertime treat.
We tested out the shrimp on Sarah’s pups. They’re always hovering in the kitchen while we’re cooking anyway, so Sarah decided to teach them the true definition of torment by making them hold food on their head WITHOUT EATING IT — until she releases them. Pepper, like Sarah, was a bit skeptical about the shrimp…
…but Mojo gave it one very enthusiastic
thumb tongue up!
Whether you’re a picky Pepper or a more-please-Mojo, this salad will have you licking your lips in anticipation, no matter what kind of protein you choose!
*No dogs were allowed to eat people-food during the making of this post. They were rewarded for their efforts with kibble and snuggles.
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. bag of sugar snap peas, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. of frozen, deveined, tail-off shrimp, thawed and dried out
- 2 avocados, diced
- 6 oz. bag of baby kale mix
- 1 lime zested, juiced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper
- Cut celery, radishes, peas and add them to a large bowl with the kale mix.
- Make sure your shrimp is towel dried off and then add it to the bowl with the kale.
- Dice your avocado and add to the kale salad mix.
- in a smaller bowl or in a mason jar mix the lime zest, juice from the lime, olive oil, cilantro, and yogurt together. Whisking until well mixed, or shaking if in a mason jar.
- Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.
- Top the salad mixture with the dressing and fold it together gently.
- Serve immediately.