I love-love chicken salad. It’s fast and simple to make — two characteristics valued highly by my rumbling stomach. And here’s a speedy secret for ya: I like to start with canned chicken. Yes, canned chicken, porque es muy rápido! And then I just get creative with what I add to it. There’s, like, a zillion different ways to make a tasty chicken salad — like this one — but right now, me encanta this recipe, right here.
And how could I not love this recipe? I mean, look at that avocado. Mmmmmmm. Right? And avocado is one of my top-ten favorite foods. Luckily, it’s also a top-ten healthy food. And what’s particularly fab about this dish is that I replaced the unhealthy saturated fat that typically comes from mayo with a creamy, delicious, AVOCADO base. You’re gonna get a whole lotta flavor, plus really healthy fat to boot.
When we created BODYReDESIGN, we knew that healthy fats can help you feel satisfied after a meal. So if you want to avoid that mid-day slump — and the emergency trip to the vending machine for a Snickers bar to boost you back up — try adding a bit of healthy fat to your lunches. For instance, this salad. Perfecto.
But let’s face it: for me, convenience is muy importante. Many people translate “learning healthy new lifestyle habits” as “giving up foods that are fast and convenient.” At BODYReDESIGN, we don’t buy that. I know it might seem hard to beat the speed of grabbing some chicken salad from the deli (you know, the kind with all the mayo), but trust me when I say that this chicken salad is yummier. AND better for you. AND seriously takes just minutes to chef up.
When making your grocery list be sure to pick up a container of pico de gallo or cowboy caviar (or maybe some of this delicious black bean salad), because this chicken salad uses 1/2 cup of whichever you like better to bring texture to your bite. If you forget it, you’ll definitely miss the exciting crunch it adds.
Enjoy this salad on its own, or roll it in a lettuce leaf to enjoy taco-style, like I do. The best part? When you skip the bread that usually comes with chicken salad, you can always have uno más. I certainly did, as did my trusty taster, Kelley. We both gave this stellar salad a YU-MMMMM-Y. The highest rating of 5 M‘s, for a stand-out dish. ¡Ay, caramba!
¡Buen provecho, mis amigos!
- 2 avocados
- 4 tbsp. Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- 2 15 oz cans of cubed chicken, drained
- ¼-1/2 cup of pico de gallo OR cowboy caviar, juice drained
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- Pit one avocado and empty the contents with Greek Yogurt and sriracha into a bowl.
- Mash and blend well together with an immersion blender (you can also use beaters) until it's whipped into a creamy smooth base.
- Add the drained chicken and pico de gallo or cowboy caviar (make sure to drain the juices from it before adding to the bowl) If you like more chunks in your chicken salad add a greater amount of pico.
- Mix ingredients together well with a spatula and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice up the remaining avocado.
- Add the 2-3 tbsp. of chicken salad into a romaine lettuce leaf top off with a slice of avocado enjoy as many as you'd like!